A Leadership Money Mindset – 7 Problems Women in Leadership Have With Money
Women in leadership can be interesting people. They have a real heart for helping others, even when it might mean doing so for free. I’ve witnessed women in Leadership Coaching leadership standing around after a seminar letting people pick their brains for free instead of purchasing the products or services she has available to sell. While there is nothing wrong with giving away your talents or sharing needed information, it’s important to recognize that asking for and receiving money is important for women in leadership roles. These 7 areas highlight some of the problems women in leadership often face when it comes to dealing with money.
- Wrong Relationship to Money: Being a leader means you have a expertise in particular topics. It is expected in most areas that people with expertise get paid more for what they know. As a leader it might be difficult to ask for the amount of money that you could learn by being an expert in your field. It will help to consider the value of what you offer when you hesitate asking for or get offered large amounts of money.
- Fear of Spending. If you have come to leadership from a nonprofit arena or if you have never had a lot of money, you might have the mindset of always thinking that you will not be able to replace money that is spent. Spending money is difficult for you because your supply might have always been limited. That mindset can keep you from spending money on things that are necessary, even to build your leadership abilities or to help you reach your goals.
- Resentment Towards the Wealthy.As hard as it can be to admit, some leaders carry a feeling of resentment towards people who have a lot of money. Some leaders have spent their lives protesting the actions of people or systems that represent wealth or the wealthy. If you have had difficult relationships with the wealthy, you might first have to deal with your subconscious thoughts about people who have access to a lot of money. A hidden resentment can keep you from attracting money because you unconsciously don’t want to be what you resent.
- Afraid Money will Control You.If you have the belief that money is the root of all evil you will resist being a woman with money. You might also feel that just having money makes a person or organization do evil things. These ideas need to be examined to or your fear of being controlled by money will keep you running away from it instead of towards it in your life.
- Feel an Inability to Earn Large Amounts. If you are not accustomed to earning large amounts of